Tuesday, December 21, 2010

First day of winter





























The first day of winter marks the start of the third season for this photo-blog. When I started posting on the first day of summer I knew what to expect, warm days, lots of activity and plenty of great events. On the first day of fall, I really didn’t know what was going to happen. I was shocked to learn someone planned to bomb the square during the tree lighting ceremony. For me, the fall season was full of surprises. As we enter winter, I’m really curious to see what the square will be like for the next three months. I think I’m going to need to hit the Columbia store on Broadway for a few extra layers. So, I thought I would start the winter by sharing a few photos from the square today. The fire department wasn't trying to rescue a cat from the tree, they were on hand to ring the bell for the Salvation Army, and give out fire hats to the kids. The square was full of people taking pictures and enjoying the tree. Christmas shopping was in full swing, with shoppers cutting across the square to get from one store to the next. If anyone comes by the square in the next three months and they see someone sitting by a campfire trying to stay warm, that would be me, stop and say hello.