Wednesday, June 22, 2011

"Square People" is one year old



To help celebrate the anniversary of “Square People,” I invited Karen I. Westphalen to join me today for a cup of coffee. She was the first person I photographed and featured on this blog, on June 22, 2010. When I got to the square that day, I had no idea what to expect. I knew the Square was a really fun place and I wanted to do the blog, but I wasn’t sure if there were enough things going on to keep people interested. The first person I ran into was Karen. She had a kooky sign and a microphone, and told me she was there to record people’s answers to a “Question of the Week,” and post the responses on her website. She said it was her first day at the Square. I thought, wow, this is a cool story and asked if I could photograph the first person she interviewed. She said yes, and I photographed the interview, and published her story as my first blog post. When I saw the post on the Internet, I realized that I would have no problem finding interesting happenings at Pioneer Courthouse Square. Over the past year, Karen has completed several other recording projects. To see Karen’s post, click this link. http://squarepeople.blogspot.com/2010/06/new-person-showed-up-today.html