Sunday, July 24, 2011

Flicks on the Bricks: Top Gun

















































































































Top Gun isn’t a greatest movie ever made. However, it happens to be one of my favorites. It honors our Navy fighter pilots, who learn to land and take off in a $40,000,000 aircraft from the pitching deck of an aircraft carrier. I lived on Coronado Island, across the bay from San Diego for two years. One half of Coronado is taken up by, North Island Navel Air Station, the home base of four of our amazing carriers. During the time I lived there, I developed an enormous respect for the men and women who take these great ships to sea. Coronado has one small movie theatre in the downtown area, and they used to feature Top Gun a couple of times a year for whatever carrier crew was in town. I was happy to see that Flicks on the Bricks selected this film to open the movie season on the Square. It was great to hear the crowd cheer, when the opening scenes, shot from the flight deck of a carrier opened the movie. The opening of Top Gun, is my all-time favorite movie opening.