Sunday, December 9, 2012

Tuba time


















On Saturday as I strolled down Yamhill, heading for Pioneer Courthouse Square, I noticed more and more tubas coming from every direction, they were all going to play in the 22 annual Tuba Christmas concert. I began wondering where do all of these tuba players come from? It occurred to me that each high school in the Portland /Vancouver metro area graduates tuba players from their marching bands every year. There’s a never-ending supply! I decided to survey five tuba players. I asked each one two questions: Where did you learn to play the tuba, and did you play in your school band? All five said they learned to play in school, and they played in the school band. As I looked at the participants in the concert, I noticed they ranged in age from kids in middle school to people in there eighties. The musicians and the audience both seem to really love this event. As for myself, I’ll be looking forward to photographing this fun event next year.