Friday, May 3, 2013

What's this?

What's this? That’s the question I heard people asking while I was taking photos of this exhibit. The answer: It’s a replica of a newly remodeled guestroom at the River Place Hotel in Portland. My question is who cares? Maybe a blurry-eyed business traveler who just got off MAX from the airport might be interested. I would guess 99% of the people crossing the Square could care less. After taking the photos, I grabbed a cup of Starbucks coffee and watched people approach the exhibit. Most people took a look inside and wandered away. My favorite was a guy in jogging gear, who ran up to the window, took a quick look inside and continued running. River Place Hotel had a webcam setup, so people could watch someone sleeping in the room overnight. I've always wanted to get up in the middle of the night and watch someone sleeping in a Yurt on Pioneer Courthouse Square. For me the trip to the Square wasn’t a total loss, I enjoyed a great cup of coffee in 77 degree sunshine.