Saturday, August 7, 2010

A pleasant surprise




I wasn’t sure what to expect today as I headed down to the square to check out the Northwest Book Festival. It was a collection of authors showcasing and signing their books. They covered a wide range of subjects, including travel, romance, poetry, health, food, science fiction and memoirs. I figured to take a few pictures, have lunch, go home and post the stuff on my blog. What I didn’t figure to do was spend $15.00 for a book. That’s before I met Michele Longo Eder and learned about her book, Salt in our Blood, The memoir of a fisherman’s wife. It was awarded the 2009 WILLA Literary Award, in the category of creative non-fiction. The book recounts the story of Michele, a commercial fisherman’s wife, who is both a mother and a successful attorney on the Oregon Coast. Set against the sudden loss at sea of the Eder’s oldest son, Ben, it is a story of indescribable sadness but also one of resilience and courage. The book is an offer of healing to her family, her community, and to fishing families everywhere. I’m looking forward to reading it. Congratulations to all of the authors who attended this event. Next year I plan to spend more time visiting with them.