Saturday, October 29, 2011

This Square is Your Square





























































The event held at noon on Friday at Pioneer Courthouse Square, was billed as the “This Land is Our Land” rally. It was held in support of Occupy Portland. Music was provided by Pink Martini, a Portland based band. Speeches were provided by a variety of speakers, including congressmen Blumenauer and Defazio. The high point of the rally was when Pink Martini played Woody Guthrie’s great song “This Land is Your Land”, as the crowd sang along. I heard many things expressed that I agree with, and I heard many things expressed where I’m in disagreement. We all know that our country is hurting, and all American’s have to work together to bring about solutions. What I found comforting was, as an American, if I disagree I can organize a group and come to this great Square in the heart of the city, and peacefully present an opposing viewpoint. This Square is our Square!